Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This was the first time I've used whole wheat flour- the texture is great for stew! This has a little "kick". From the South Beach Diet.
- 2 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon chili powder, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 lbs lean stewing beef
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 sweet onions, cut into chunks
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 cups low sodium beef broth
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans stewed tomatoes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 large potato, cubed
- 4 carrots, sliced
- In a large ziplock bag, mix flour, 1 teaspoons chili powder, and salt. Add beef & shake well to coat.
- Heat oil in large saucepan over medium high heat. Add beef; cook & stir 7 minuted, until browned. Add onions, garlic, & oregano. Reduce heat to medium. Cook & stir 5 minutes.
- Add broth,undrained tomatoes, & 2 teaspoons chili powder. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, & simmer for 2 hrs., stirring occasionally.
- Add carrots & potatoes. Cover; cook 45 minutes, until tender.
This is great, however the nutrition info in the South Beach Diet Cookbook is different than it is here. Any idea why?