Oatmeal Blueberry Breakfast Bars
- Ready In:
CRUST AND TOPPING
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, cold and cut into small cubes
- 2 1⁄2 cups quick oats
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons apple juice
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 2 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 3 1⁄2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Heat oven to 375, grease a 9x13 pan.
- For the crust/topping: Add flour, brown sugar, and salt to bowl of food processer. Pilse once or twice to combine, add butter, then pulse five to six more times until course crumbs form. Add the oats and pulse three or four more times. Add beaten egg and pulse till mixed.
- Remove 1 1/2 cups of the mixture and set aside. Add the apple juice to the remaining mixture and pulse three or four more times until it is just moistened. Press this mixture evenly and firmly into the bottom of the pan.
- For the filling: Whisk together sugar and flour in a medium sized bowl. Add the fruit and lemon juice and gently toss with a rubber spatula until the fruit is coated. Distribute the filling over the crust.
- Sprinkle the reserved crumb mixture over the filling. Press into filling with a rubber spatula.
- Bake the dish until the top is golden, about 35 to 40 minutes.
- Let the pan cool om a wire rack for about 2 hours, then cut the sheet into 16 bars. Store in an airtight container in the fridge.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I looked for awhile to find a blueberry recipe that could be gluten-free. I used almond meal instead of flour, and they taste great! Almond meal has some oils in it, so I omitted the egg and the apple juice. (& added a bit of cornstarch to the berries) Worked very well! Personally I would call it Blueberry Crumble, not Blueberry Bars.
I am so excited to have found this recipe again! I lost it right after I made them this summer. Thsese bars are DELICIOUS! They are pretty much exactly like the starbucks blueberry oatmeal bars. All my friends and family love them. I made up a bunch and put in the freezer this last summer and they really freeze well. Will become a life long family recipe for us. LOVE THEM! Oh, I used whole wheat pastry flour...not problems with them being crumbly or falling apart.
I looked for awhile to find a blueberry recipe that could be gluten-free. I used almond meal instead of flour, and they taste great! Almond meal has some oils in it, so I omitted the egg and the apple juice. (and added a bit of cornstarch to the berries) Worked very well! Personally I would call it Blueberry Crumble, not Blueberry Bars.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/IWasAdoptedfall08.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> A new mom with a love for great home-cooked meals!