1/1 Photo of Penny's Spaghetti Sauce and Meatballs
3 hrs 30 mins
This is such a great meal to make in abundance. Serve it to a crowd AND freeze some for later. So many different uses, too. I sometimes make the sauce with the meat crumbled into it and use some of that sauce for lasagna and/or baked ziti. Hope you like it, too!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 onions, chopped
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 28 ounces petite diced tomatoes
- 30 ounces tomato sauce
- 24 ounces tomato paste
- 10 1/2 ounces consomme
- 1 1/2 cups dry red wine
- 5 cups water
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1Heat olive oil in a very large soup/stew pot and saute onions until soft, salt and pepper to taste.
- 2Add remaining ingredients and stir until well combined.
- 3Simmer the sauce for 3 hours and if you are going to add the meatballs:.
- 4Place all meatball ingredients, except olive oil, in a large bowl and mix gently.
- 5Do not over mix the meatballs, they will be tough.
- 6Form and shape either small, 2" diameter balls or larger.
- 7Salt and pepper and set aside.
- 8Now you can either drop the meatballs into the simmering sauce for 3 hours or you can sear them first in the remaining olive oil and then drop them into the sauce.
- 9My Italian friends prefer the fried meatballs.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Penny's Spaghetti Sauce and Meatballs
Serving Size: 1 (282 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 20
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 257.4
- Calories from Fat 119
- Total Fat 13.3 g
- Saturated Fat 3.5 g
- Cholesterol 52.0 mg
- Sodium 1069.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.3 g
- Sugars 9.3 g
- Protein 12.9 g