Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
This has to be one of my favorite cookies! Sooo goooood.
- 1 1⁄2 cups vegetable shortening
- 3⁄4 cup white sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 2 eggs
- 4 cups flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons water
- 1 cup chopped pecans, chopped fine
- Pre-heat oven to 325.
- In a large bowl cream shortening, sugar and salt.
- Add the eggs and beat well.
- Slowly add the flour, baking soda and water.
- Add pecans to the dough and knead with your hands until pecans are well blended.
- Roll the dough into 1 inch balls and place on cookie sheet.
- Press down with a drinking glass.
- Cookies should be about 2 inches round, 1/2 inch thick.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until the edges are golden brown-watch the bottoms.
These were great Pecan Sandies--better than those you buy in the package. I had to shorten the cooking time (maybe I should have lowered the heat). Only kept them in for 18 minutes. I pressed them with a cup dipped in sugar because they had a tendency to stick to the cup otherwise.
The cookies were good - but something tasted like it was missing. Suggestions from friends were to go with butter flavored shortening instead of regular Crisco, and to add more sugar.
easy to make and a great texture, but a little bland. next time I will add more sugar and maybe a little vanilla instead of the water!