Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
From 365:No Repeats. Rachael Ray
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small ham steak, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 leek, cleaned and sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large shallot, chopped
- 1 small head cabbage, chopped
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 (15 ounce) can cannellini beans
- black pepper
- crusty bread
- also need (bottle red Bordeaux wine, for the chef and the last few swallows of soup).
- Heat a coup pot over medium high heat with olive oil.
- Add the vegetables and ham to the pot as you chop them.
- Add cabbage to the pot and sprinkle with sugar and salt.
- Add 2 cups of water and cover.
- Steam the cabbage for 15 minutes.
- Uncover the pot and add the broth and beans. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and keep at a low simmer.
- Adjust the salt and pepper. Serve with crusty bread, and don't forget to down the last few swallows with your trusty Bordeaux!
I've made this recipe a number of times, and every time I make it, I get a request for the recipe. I can't recommend it enough! Also, this serves a LOT more than 4 servings...