We North Americans are nuts about Peanut Butter! It’s one of our favourite things and we use it to flavour cookies, pies, cakes and even savoury dishes…and we absolutely love Peanut Butter and Jam together. In fact, in the grocery stores, you can get jars of the two swirled together already. I forget what it’s called though. My husband thinks it’s a crazy combination and you would never get him to eat a Peanut Butter and jam sandwich…but he sure gobbles up these cookies!
- 1⁄2 cup plain flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3⁄4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 3 drops vanilla essence
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3⁄4 cup caster sugar
- 1⁄4 cup soft light brown sugar, packed
- 1 large egg
- strawberry jam
FOR THE FROSTING
- 1⁄4 cup icing sugar, plus
- 2 tablespoons icing sugar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons milk
- 1⁄4 cup creamy peanut butter
- Pre-heat the oven to 180*C/350*F. Sift together the flour and baking powder and set aside.
- Blend together the peanut butter and the butter with you electric hand mixer, until fluffy and well combined. Add the caster sugar and the brown sugar and beat until smooth. Beat in the egg and vanilla. Stir in the flour mixture to combine.
- Shape TBS of the dough into balls and place 2 inches apart on an ungreased baking sheet. Press down a bit with your fingertips and then with your thumb, gently dent the centre of each cookie. Spoon about ½ tsp of the jam into these dents. Bake for about 12 minutes or until lightly golden and done. Remove from the oven and pan to cool on a wire rack.
- Beat together the ¼ cup of peanut butter and the icing sugar. Beat in the milk a little at a time until it reaches a good consistency for piping. Place into a plastic sandwich bag and squish it all down into one corner. Snip of a tiny bit of the corner of the bag and pipe the frosting onto the cookies. Enjoy!