Italian Jam Cookies
These cookies are baked in a roll, frosted and then sliced. The uncut rolls make a great hostess gift. They are also delicious just dusted with icing sugar instead of the frosting.
- Ready In:
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 3⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 (1 g) package vanilla sugar (Vanillina)
- 1 lemon rind
- 5 teaspoons baking powder
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- thick fruit jam
- lemon pie filling
regular jam plus the following additions
- chopped nuts
- chopped baking chocolate
- plain breadcrumbs
- 1 egg white
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- colored candy sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Beat eggs, sugar, oil, milk and lemon rind on medium speed for 3 minutes or until well mixed.
- Mix in all of the baking powder and gradually add the flour. Blend until the flour is all incorporated and the dough is firm.
- Place the dough on a floured surface and knead until firm enough to roll, adding flour as needed. Divide the dough into 6 equal portions, then roll each piece into a 9 inch square about 1/4 inch thick.
- Spread 3 heaping tablespoons of the filling over the top third of the dough, then roll length wise. Seal the roll and seal the ends tucking then underneath. Place the rolls, seal side down on the ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until golden in colour.
- Once cooled, frost the top of the rolls then sprinkle with the coloured candy. Let the frosting set until hard then slice the rolls into 1 inch pieces or desired thickness.
- Filling: Either use a thick jam, pie filling or marmalade, or mix the regular jam with any of the desired ingredient until the jam is thick.
- Frosting: Whip the egg white and sugar until thick and spreadable, about 3 - 5 minutes.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
This recipe definitely deserves 5*'s. These cookies remind me of my Grandmother's delicious Italian biscuits. They are so versatile since a choice of fillings is suggested. I used jam, marmalade, and chopped walnuts, but omitted the icing. Thank you for giving me a recipe that I will be using often, especially for the holidays.2Reply
see 5 more