1/1 Photo of Pasta With Sugar Snap Peas, Asparagus, Ricotta and Brown Butter
Dreamer in Ontario's Note:
The browned butter is the secret to this dish. The recipe was published in the Toronto Star and credited to the San Francisco Chronicle.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 ounces whole wheat pasta, such as rotini
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, sliced thin
- 5 ounces snap peas, cut into 1/2-inch lengths
- 1 bunch asparagus, tips only (top inch or so)
- 1/2 lemon, juice of
- coarse salt, to taste
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 tablespoon thinly sliced mint
- 1 tablespoon minced lemon zest
- 6 tablespoons fresh ricotta
- 1/4 cup toasted coarsely chopped hazelnuts
- 1Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add pasta, and cook until al dente, about 12 minutes.
- 2Heat oil in medium sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook, stirring, until softened and slightly brown, 7 to 10 minutes.
- 3Add snap peas, asparagus and lemon juice, and cook, stir for 1 minute. Using a slotted spoon, transfer pasta to sauté pan, and add 1/2 cup of pasta cooking water to pan.
- 4Continue to cook, stirring constantly, until water is almost absorbed and peas and asparagus are bright green but tender, about 4 minutes.
- 5Season with salt and pepper.
- 6Heat butter in small pan over high heat, swirling as butter begins to change colour. As soon as butter browns, about 4 minutes, remove from heat.
- 7Stir mint and lemon zest into pasta and divide pasta among four bowls.
- 8Top each bowl with 1- 1/2 tablespoons ricotta, 1/4 of the hazelnuts, and drizzle with 1 tablespoon brown butter.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pasta With Sugar Snap Peas, Asparagus, Ricotta and Brown Butter
Serving Size: 1 (302 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 473.9
- Calories from Fat 216
- Total Fat 24.0 g
- Saturated Fat 10.2 g
- Cholesterol 42.0 mg
- Sodium 125.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 55.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.0 g
- Sugars 3.8 g
- Protein 16.1 g