Even my FFF cousin makes this lol. Good for during the year too and low fat. I know some people have the minhag not to use garlic during Passover - you can omit but it won't be as good. Adapted from Steven Raichlen's Healthy Jewish Cooking.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1 -2 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 green pepper, seeded and cut into thin strips
- 1 -2 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon paprika, sweet if available
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper flakes, omit for passover or use some fresh chili
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 (28 ounce) can chopped peeled tomatoes with juice (or fresh if you don't have Passover ones)
- 1/4 cup canned tomato sauce (can also use tomato and mushroom sauce)
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon brown sugar, if available,can be omitted
- 1Place the chicken in a bowl and toss with the garlic, salt and pepper.
- 2Let marinate for 15 minutes while you make the sauce.
- 3Heat the oil in a large, heavy saucepan.
- 4Add the onion and pepper and cook until soft but not brown- about 3 minutes.
- 5Add the garlic, paprika and hot pepper flakes and cook for 1 minute.
- 6Add the tomato paste and fry for 30 seconds.
- 7Add the chopped peeled tomatoes with their juice to the pan with the tomato sauce and 2 tablespoons parsley.
- 8Simmer the sauce until thick and richly flavoured- 10 to 15 minutes- stirring often.
- 9Add sugar if too acidic.
- 10Blend or process the sauce if you don't like chunky sauce.
- 11Stir the chicken into the sauce and simmer until cooked, about 15 minutes.
- 12Add salt and pepper to taste.
- 13Serve garnished with remaining parsley.
Browse Our Top Poultry Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Poultry Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Passover Chicken Fricassee
Serving Size: 1 (459 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 305.8
- Calories from Fat 54
- Total Fat 6.0 g
- Saturated Fat 1.1 g
- Cholesterol 98.7 mg
- Sodium 979.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.6 g
- Sugars 11.5 g
- Protein 42.2 g