Prep 10 mins
Cook 12 mins
These light-tasting cornmeal muffins are coated with grated parmesan cheese after they are baked. Serve them with a bowl of chili or hearty soup. Taken from the "Quick, Healthy and Delicious Cooking" cookbook by BH&G. Updated: After one reviewer brought to my attention that using larger muffin tins resulted in very small "caps", I mentioned that I tend to use smaller muffin tins for this recipe. You of course, can decide which you prefer.
- Spray twelve 1 3/4 inch muffin cups with nonstick coating; set aside.
- In a large bowl stir together flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Beat together egg white, milk and oil.
- Add to flour mixture and stir just till smooth.
- Spoon into prepared muffin cups, filling 3/4 full.
- Bake in a 425 degree oven for 10 to 12 minutes or till golden.
- Remove from pan; cool on a wire rack 5 minutes.
- Place cheese in a plastic bag.
- Add warm puffs, a few at at time; toss to coat with cheese.
- Serve warm.
A wonderful and tasty corn muffin. I cut the recipe in half and it works fine. I cut down on the milk to adjust for the entire egg white. I just sprinkle the tops with the Parmesan. Will be making this again this winter. Thanks for posting this yummy low-fat recipe!
These are pretty good for "lite" muffins! One tip - use a mini muffin pan or you'll end up with "muffin tops" like I did. This is a good alternative if you're craving corn bread but don't want all the fat.