Recipe by Derf
DH says "It's Good" (and it is). Good hot or cold. from Canadian Diabetes Association
Top Review by anonymous23
My husband and I were pleasantly surprised by how much we liked this. I only have basmati rice in the house, so I'll use 1:1 water/rice quantity next time, 'cause the crust turned out a bit soggy. Also, next time, I might bake it five or so minutes before adding the filling. I tend to avoid celery, but I added it this time, 'cause it seemed important--and I just threw it and the onion into my food processor, which made it really easy. The salmon was home-canned with lemon and olive oil, so I did drain most of the oil and added some water. Also, I was a little nervous about the spices because they didn't seem to want to mix with the milk and egg--maybe I should've beaten them with the egg before I added the milk. I served this with Recipe #66543 as a side. Thanks, Derf!
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup long grain rice
- 1 tablespoon margarine or 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup finely chopped celery
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 eggs
- 1 pinch fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄2 cup shredded swiss cheese
- 1 (7 3/4 ounce) can salmon, undrained and flaked
- 1⁄2 cup 2% low-fat milk or 1⁄2 cup skim milk
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1 pinch curry powder
- 1 pinch cinnamon
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring water and salt to a boil, add rice, bring to boil again, cover, reduce heat and simmer about 15 minutes, until all water is absorbed and rice is tender.
- Grease a 9 inch pie plate with 1 teaspoon margarine.
- Melt remaining margarine in a fry pan.
- Sauté celery and onion about 4 minutes until tender.
- Beat 1 egg with pepper and mix into rice.
- Press rice onto bottom and sides of prepared pie plate to form crust.
- Sprinkle half the cheese over rice.
- Spread with half the celery mixture and salmon.
- Top with remaining celery mixture and cheese.
- Beat together remaining egg, milk, nutmeg, curry powder and cinnamon.
- Pour over ingredients in pie plate.
- Bake in 375 degree oven for 30 to 35 minutes until a tester inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Cool 5 minutes.
- Cut into 6 wedges.
- Diabetic- 1 wedge; 2 protein choices; 1 starchy choice; 1 fats and oils choice.