Prep 5 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is so easy. Prepare it the night before and store in the frig. The next morning pop it in the oven and bake. I serve it with butter and hot maple syrup. Everyone loves this. Leftovers warm up nicely in the microwave oven.
- 1 loaf French bread
- 8 large eggs
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 dash salt
- Slice french bread into 20 slices about 1 inch thick. Arrange slices in a generously buttered 9 by 13 baking dish, overlapping the slices in two rows.
- In a large bowl, combine the eggs, half-and-half, milk, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt and beat with a rotary beater or whisk until well blended.
- Pour mixture over the bread making sure all the bread is moistened and spooning some in between the slices.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- The next day preheat oven to 350 degrees and bake for approximately 40 minutes.
I think I oops-ed because I used Texas Toast instead of French Bread and it came out a little too wet for my tastes but was very good. Thanks so much for the recipe.