Prep 9 hrs
Cook 50 mins
Tasty comfort food from "the Floataway Cafe" in Atlanta.
Oven Roasted Chicken
- 2 (3 lb) organic free range whole chickens
- 1 cup kosher salt
- 1 gallon cold water
- 1⁄2 lb arugula
- 4 cups sourdough bread cubes (1/2 inch cubes)
- 1⁄2 cup dried currant, plumped in warm water & splash red wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup toasted pine nuts
- 1⁄2 cup champagne vinegar
- 1 cup reduced chicken stock
- 1 cup olive oil
- 10 garlic cloves, sliced, sauteed in small amount of olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup chives or 1⁄4 cup spring onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon pepper (to taste)
- Oven Roasted Chicken:
- Dissolve the salt in cold water and place rinsed chickens in water. Let chicken brine in salt water for 6 to 8 hours in refrigerator. Remove, rinse & dry. Season with pepper, rub with olive oil & stuff under the skin with fresh sage leaves. Roast in wood burning oven 450-500 degrees for 30-45 minutes. Remove chicken from oven and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Bread Salad:
- Toast bread lightly. Make vinaigrette - in large bowl mix vinegar, chicken stock, garlic & chives. Whisk in olive oil and season with salt & pepper. Toss with toasted bread, currants & pine nuts. Cover with foil & bake in 400 degree oven until lightly brown about 20 minutes. To serve toss warm bread salad with arugula , chives or spring onions and serve with chicken.
- Chicken Jus:
- Heat stock in sauce pan and slowly swirl in butter until incorporated over very low heat. Season & serve over chicken and bread salad.