Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Tasty comfort food from "the Floataway Cafe" in Atlanta.
Make and share this Oven Roasted Chicken With Bread Salad recipe from Food.com.
Oven Roasted Chicken
- 2 (3 lb) organic free range whole chickens
- 1 cup kosher salt
- 1 gallon cold water
- 1⁄2 lb arugula
- 4 cups sourdough bread cubes (1/2 inch cubes)
- 1⁄2 cup dried currant, plumped in warm water & splash red wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup toasted pine nuts
- 1⁄2 cup champagne vinegar
- 1 cup reduced chicken stock
- 1 cup olive oil
- 10 garlic cloves, sliced, sauteed in small amount of olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup chives or 1⁄4 cup spring onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon pepper (to taste)
- Oven Roasted Chicken:
- Dissolve the salt in cold water and place rinsed chickens in water. Let chicken brine in salt water for 6 to 8 hours in refrigerator. Remove, rinse & dry. Season with pepper, rub with olive oil & stuff under the skin with fresh sage leaves. Roast in wood burning oven 450-500 degrees for 30-45 minutes. Remove chicken from oven and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Bread Salad:
- Toast bread lightly. Make vinaigrette - in large bowl mix vinegar, chicken stock, garlic & chives. Whisk in olive oil and season with salt & pepper. Toss with toasted bread, currants & pine nuts. Cover with foil & bake in 400 degree oven until lightly brown about 20 minutes. To serve toss warm bread salad with arugula , chives or spring onions and serve with chicken.
- Chicken Jus:
- Heat stock in sauce pan and slowly swirl in butter until incorporated over very low heat. Season & serve over chicken and bread salad.