Oven Roasted Whole Lemon-Pepper Chicken and Veggies
photo by momaphet
- Ready In:
- 1 whole roasting chicken
- 4 medium white potatoes
- 6 whole fresh carrots
- 1 large onion
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil, plus
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- nonstick cooking spray, such as Mazola or Pam cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Thoroughly wash chicken in cold water, especially cavity, pat dry.
- Using kitchen shears, remove backbone and ribs to "butterfly" chicken.
- Gently separate, but do not remove, skin over chicken breast, legs and thighs.
- Wash and cut potatoes (skin on), carrots, and onion into coarse cubes.
- Spray a 13 by 9 inch baking dish with non-stick spray.
- Spread vegetables in bottom of dish, drizzle with 2 tablespoons olive oil, sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoons garlic salt and 1/2 teaspoons coarse ground black pepper.
- Place chicken on top of vegetables.
- Combine 1/4 cup olive oil, 1/4 cup lemon juice, 1 teaspoons lemon pepper, and 1/2 teaspoons garlic salt with a whisk.
- Gently lift chicken skin and drizzle olive oil and lemon juice mixture under the skin.
- Pour any remaining oil mixture over skin.
- Tent dish with aluminum foil. Place in preheated oven for 40 minutes, remove foil, and roast for 30-45 minutes longer, until chicken juices run clear.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This dish is really simple and delicous. I used granualted garlic and kosher salt in place of the using a little less salt than called for, I also reduced the amount of oil. The chicken juice gives amazing flavor to the veggies, and I was able to make a pan gravy from the brown bits after draining off almost all the fat. It was rich and dark and looked more like beef gravy. I put in almost a whole head of individual garlic cloves still their skins they added even more flavor squeezed into the dish. I will be making this again . Made for Recipes with our Photos Tag
This was a simple recipe and enjoyed by all. I have never butterflied a chicken before and just removed the back bone. I left the rib bones intact. Made as directed other than cutting the oil in the rub to 2 tbsp. I do think fresh garlic would enhance the flavor. Thanks for sharing. Made for Best of 2013 Cookbook tag.
local store had a buy one get one free sale on whole chickens and i could not resist.this was the only recipe that match the search i entered..it was perfect!! i added red bell peppers to the veggies,other then that i followed the recipe as posted.the family loved it and it was an easy cleanup.thanks loads for posting this one!!!!!!!
This was very good and the potatoes took on more of a lemon flavor than the chicken. My chicken must have been larger than this recipe because after removing the foil tent it took 80 minutes for the meat to register 180 degrees for poultry on my thermometer. It will definately be a recipe I make over again. In addition, any leftover potatoes, carrots and onions along with the stock in bottom of pan make great leftover soup for the next day. I have decided that from now on in the winter months when I have a whole chicken this is the way it will be made. Even my son who despises chicken enjoyed this.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I am an army wife, and I have lived in Europe for 5 years. I love cooking for friends and family, travel, reading, shopping and music. I have two boys and a wonderful husband. I am a stay-at-home mom.