Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a must served this with mashed potatoes ---one can of well drained mushrooms may be used in place of fresh, do not use fast-fry pork chops for this.
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons seasoning salt or 1 teaspoon white salt
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper (or to taste)
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper (adjust to taste) (optional)
- 6 -8 center-cut pork chops (1-inch thick or a little thicker)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons oil (more if needed)
- 1 lb fresh sliced button mushroom
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 small green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 cups half-and-half cream or 2 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Grease a 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- In a shallow bowl combine the flour with the next 5 spices (remove 3 tablespoons of the flour mixture and set aside).
- Coat the pork chops in the flour mixture one at a time then place onto a plate.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat melt the butter with oil; add in the pork chops and brown on both sides then transfer to prepared baking dish.
- In the same skillet add in mushrooms and saute until golden; sprinkle over the pork chops.
- To the skillet add in onion and bell pepper; saute until softened.
- Add in garlic and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add in the reserved 3 tablespoons flour mixture and stir for 1 minute.
- Stir in 2 cups half and half cream or milk; bring to a boil and stir for 2 minutes or until smooth and bubbly.
- Remove from the heat and stir in 2 tablespoons lemon juice (at this point you may season the gravy with more black pepper to taste).
- Pour the sauce over the chops and mushrooms; using a fork lift the chops slightly to allow the gravy to flow underneath.
- Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees F for about 50-60 minutes (do not cover tightly you will need to allow some air to flow out while cooking).
These were delicious. An absolute winner! Used lime juice rather than lemon & came out perfect. The sauce made the difference. Will definitely be repeating this! :-)
We enjoyed this. I'm not sure I liked the green pepper in the gravy but it was a different twist on pork chops which was nice.
I made this recipe for dinner tonight. It was soooo good! My husband loves pork chops and I have been hoping to find a new recipe to make. He said he would eat this again and again. I followed the recipe to the "T". I served it with roasted small potatoes tossed with olive oil, garlic and Italian seasonings with steamed broccoli Outstanding!! Thank you for this one Kittencal! A keeper!