Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 hrs
I have taken this salad to many pot lucks and it is always well received. There is a nice mix of flavours in the dressing. I hope you enjoy it!
- 2 cups rice
- 0.5 (1 kg) bag frozen peas (use approx. 1 pound)
- 1 1⁄2 cups celery
- 1⁄4 cup red onion
- 1⁄3 cup salad oil (I have used either Vegetable or Canola)
- 3 tablespoons soya sauce
- 1⁄2-2 teaspoon curry powder
- 2 teaspoons vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- Cook the rice according to package directions and cool.
- Cook the peas and cool.
- Chop celery and onion.
- Mix the rice, peas, celery and onion.
- While the rice is cooking mix all the ingredients for the dressing.
- Mix the dressing into the rice mixture.
- Cool for several hours.
Loved this salad! To reduce the fat I used a scant quarter cup of oil and kept all the other dressing ingredients about the same and it came out great. Thanks for posting.
I swapped the vegies to what I had on hand but made the dressing as per the recipe. I used onion, red pepper and mushrooms as I had no peas. The salad dressing is terrific and the versatility of the recipe makes it a total winner for me. Made and so enjoyed for Zingo ZWT 6.
Edited to say that the salad was even better the next day, once the dressing marinated the rice and veggies! *** Wonderful salad - loved loved loved the dressing! Made as is, except I used basmati rice, yellow bell pepper instead of celery and canned peas. This makes quite a filling lunch! Thanks Laffer!