This is a customer request recipe from Outpost Natural foods. Of course, they want you to use all organice ingredients, but you are welcome to use regular stuff! :) All the other recipes on sight start with a boxed mix and this is homemade, from scratch. Prep time is an estimate.
- 13 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄8 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 2⁄3 tablespoons orange juice concentrate
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1⁄2 cup 2% low-fat milk, plus
- 1 teaspoon 2% low-fat milk
- 1⁄8 cup canola oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 teaspoon orange extract
- 8 ounces neufchatel cheese, softened
- 16 ounces sifted powdered sugar
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice concentrate
- mandarin orange, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Sift together flour, baking powder and salt.
- Combine the 1 2/3 tablespoons orange juice concentrate, water, milk, canola oil, vanilla and orange extract.
- Add dry ingredients and wet ingredients, alternately, to butter mixture, beating well after each addition.
- Divide batter among two 9 inch sprayed cake pans and bake for 30-35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean.
- Remove from oven, cool, and remove from pans.
- Frost cake, either 2 separate cakes, or if you are brave, as a 2 layer cake!
- Garnish with mandarin oranges.
- Frosting: Cream the cream cheese, powdered sugar, and o.j. concentrate together until well blended.