Prep 25 mins
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
Posted in response to a request for Orange Cinnamon Rolls, similar to the Pillsbury refrigerated rolls. Recipe is from Betty Crocker's "Breads" cookbook, published in 1974. The first time I try a recipe, I like to write the date beside it. I see that I first made these on May 30, 1977 and my comment was: "VG" ("very good")... (Cooking time includes 2 hrs for letting the dough rise.)
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 1⁄2 cup warm water (105-115 degrees)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons orange zest
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 3 -3 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine, softened
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1 tablespoon orange zest (optional)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Dissolve yeast in warm water in lg mixer bowl.
- Add orange peel, orange juice, sugar, salt, egg, butter and 1 1/2 c of the flour.
- Beat 30 seconds on low, scraping bowl constantly; increase speed to medium, beat 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally.
- Stir in enough of the remaining flour to make a dough easy to handle.
- Turn dough out onto floured surface and knead 5 minutes and dough is smooth and elastic.
- Cover; let rise in warm place until double, about 1 to 1 1/2 hours (dough is ready if an indentation remains when dough is touched).
- Punch dough down and, on a lightly floured surface, roll into a rectangle 15x9".
- Spread w/ 1 T butter and sprinkle w/ combined 2 T sugar and 1 t cinnamon.
- Roll up, beginning at one of the long sides; pinch edge of dough into roll to seal well; stretch to make roll even.
- Cut roll into 15 slices about 1" wide.
- Place slices slightly apart in a greased oblong baking pan, 13x9x2", or in greased muffin cups.
- Cover and let rise until double, about 30 minutes.
- Bake in a 375 degree preheated oven until rolls are golden brown, about 25 to 30 minutes.
- If desired, mix together confectioner's sugar, orange juice, orange peel, and vanilla; frost while warm.
- Recipe is easily doubled.
SO AWESOME! I am glad that they aren't too hard, because I am sure that I will be making them often! If you're looking for an awesome recipe, try this one!!
Here's a tip: The easiest way I have found to cut the rolls is to use a piece of dental floss (no, really!!). Slide the floss under the roll to where you want to cut it, pull the ends over the top, cross them and pull. Voila! Nice clean cuts without smashing the roll with a knife.
These are SO GOOD! My three boys (8,5,and 3) inhlaed these, eating 10 rolls between them before 10 am! I used the bread machine for kneading the dough, using zest from an entire organic orange. Formed the rolls and then refrigerated overnight. Let rise in the morning (turn the oven on, let it warm up just a bit, then turn off and leave the pan in the oven until rolls are doubled in size; remove rolls from oven, preheat, then bake). Mine were ready after baking time of 17 minutes so watch carefully. I doubled the icing, adding just a bit of orange extract instead of zest out of pure laziness. Icing as is would be enough, especially if served for lunch next to chicken salad (yum), but I'd use about 1.5x the amount for breakfast. Pilsbury doesn't hold a candle to these! Thanks for sharing the recipe!
So delicious! My family loves the Pillsbury Orange Rolls, but I'm hesitant to buy them with all the preservatives in there. I gave these a shot for Easter brunch and they were a huge hit. I used organic butter, OJ, and flour. Still fattening, but without all the chemicals and additives. Husband's response, "You MADE these??" He ate 3 at once. I was a tad lazy and didn't bother with the orange zest and the orange flavor was still there from the juice but was not overwhelming and was good for my picky eaters. I also added about 4oz. of cream cheese for the icing which really topped it off. He has already asked me to make them again and they were actually very easy to make too. I let my bread machine do the work and the dough was perfect. Made the brunch extra special - thank you!!!