Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
We love boiled ham. Sometimes I boil the traditional potatoes and cabbage with it. Other times I make this delicious, simple side dish. Its as easy as making plain rice but much tastier. When you're not making boiled ham you can do the same with chicken or beef stock as well.
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 cup long-grain rice
- 2 cups ham stock
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese (optional)
- black pepper, preferably freshly ground
- Combine rice, onions, and ham broth in a medium saucepan.
- Cook uncovered on medium-high heat until the broth boils.
- Stir, then simmer covered on low heat for 7 minutes.
- Stir, then simmer covered another 5 minutes.
- Stir in the Parmesan if desired. Add black pepper to taste. Let sit covered 5-7 minutes until all the broth has been absorbed.
- Fluff with a fork before serving.
A very easy way to add flavour to plain rice. I really liked the bit of parmesan cheese. I've made this twice and both times found I needed to cook the rice a few minutes longer than the stated 12 minutes, but otherwise a terrific recipe. I'll be making this again. Thanks, 3KillerBs!