Recipe by harper
This is a great use of leftovers, and it makes a one dish meal. I like to serve it with salad and garlic bread, though. I have also used quinoa in this recipe, but that requires putting the broccoli in as soon as the water boils, because quinoa only takes about 20 minutes to cook. For more recipes like this one, check out my blog at www.trialanderrorhomeec.blogspot.com.
- 1 cup barley or 1 cup brown rice
- 3 cups vegetable broth or 3 cups water
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 1 cup broccoli, cut into small pieces
- 1 -2 cup turkey or 1 -2 cup chicken meat, cooked and cut into bite sized pieces
- 6 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Put barley or rice in a large pot with vegetable broth and chopped onion. Cover and cook on medium heat until broth is absorbed, watching the pot to prevent boil over. About 45 minutes.
- In the last 15 minutes of cooking the barley or rice, add broccoli.
- When the starch and vegetables are done, remove pot from heat and stir in meat, soy sauce, and cheese. Combine until cheese is melted.
- If desired, serve topped with some more grated cheese.