Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
Not a "copy cat" recipe.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 lb ground beef
- 6 ounces Italian sausage, casing removed
- 1 cup red wine
- 18 ounces crushed tomatoes
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon chopped sage
- salt and pepper
- 12 ounces pasta, cooked and drained
- Heat oil in a large sauce pan.
- Add onion, carrot, and celery, saute over medium low heat 5 minutes.
- Add beef and sausage, brown over medium heat, breaking up the meat, cook until no longer pink, drain.
- Add wine, bring to a boil and cook until reduced by half.
- Add tomatoes, garlic, herbs, salt and pepper and simmer 1 hour.
- Serve over hot cooked pasta.
Excellent, what more can I say?
We thoroughly enjoyed this. I did not have any sausage, so used an pound of ground beef. I don't usually gave red wine so I substituted chicken broth and a bit of red wine vinegar. Our crushed tomatoes was 28 ounces, Made a nice thick meat sauce. Nice since everything was on hand.
I thought this recipe was great and my husband loved it. next time i think i will leave out the sausage, but that's just me. thanks!