Prep 40 mins
Cook 30 mins
Scrapple varies from family to family. There is even a beef version
- 1 lb boneless pork, cooked, chopped
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme, crumbled
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 -6 tablespoons vegetable oil
- hot breakfast sausage patty, cooked
- fresh herb (for garnish)
- Combine pork, broth, cornmeal, thyme and salt in large saucepan. Heat and stir to boiling.
- Reduce heat, simmer stirring constantly until mixture is very thick.
- Remove from heat.
- Line 8 x 8 x 2-inch baking pan with waxed paper allowing 3 to 4 inch overhang.
- Spoon pork mixture into pan, press firmly and refrigerate, covered 4 hours.
- Using waxed paper.
- In the morning or any time you like breakfast, cut into small squares and fry in a skillet with some oil on medium heat like breakfast sausage until browned on both sides and hot in the middle.
- Fabulous with grits, eggs, homefries and toast.
Would like to try this recipe but it is not complete.
The Best.. Recipe is very accurate.
I wanted to make this for the US Regional alphabet tag but the instructions are only halfway complete. Chef does not accept zmail to ask for clarification. This would be a completely new recipe for me, otherwise I'd wing it from experience.