Recipe by JoAnn
I have adjusted and tweaked this recipe to make it truly my own. During the last part of cooking the sauce becomes thick and delicious. For the adventurous, add a dash of Louisiana hot sauce when serving.
Top Review by MizzNezz
I had never made cabbage rolls on top of the stove before. This worked out really good! The sausage in the filling gives a great flavor. Adding the chopped cabbage and potatoes to the filling made it extra nice. The sauce is especially yummy! Thanks for the recipe Jo Ann!
- 1 -2 head cabbage
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1⁄2 lb ground pork
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 small onion, grated
- 1 cup shredded cabbage
- 1⁄2 green bell pepper, diced small
- 1⁄4 cup green onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons parsley, minced
- 1 small red potatoes, grated
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup raw rice
- 1 can tomato sauce
- 2 cans tomato sauce
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Blanch cabbage (s) for approximately 10 minutes.
- When cool enough to handle, separate into leaves.
- Combine meat, salt, pepper, rice, shredded cabbage, shredded potato, eggs, onions, bell pepper, garlic and parsley and small can of tomato sauce.
- Mix well.
- Place equal portions of meat mixture in center of each cabbage leaf, fold ends over, roll up and fasten with toothpicks.
- Add one tablespoon oil each to two large skillets and place cabbage rolls sided by side in skillets.
- To the two small cans of tomato sauce add the brown sugar and lemon juice and pour over cabbage rolls.
- Cover skillets and simmer for 30 minutes, basting occasionally.
- Uncover and continue cooking 30 minutes more, basting occasionally.
- Sauce will thicken and become a wonderful sauce that adheres to cabbage rolls.
- Dash of Louisiana hot sauce can be added to top of cabbage rolls for those that enjoy it.