Another good on the go breakfast, or enjoy with tea. Note: These are very good adding a tablespoon of orange zest along with cranberries.
- 1 3⁄4 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, necessary
- 1⁄3 cup sugar or 1⁄3 cup Splenda sugar substitute
- 3⁄4 cup unsalted butter, cold, cut into bits
- 1 1⁄3 cups old fashioned oats
- 1⁄2 cup dried currants, raisins or 1⁄2 cup dried cranberries
- 1⁄2 cup milk (I use buttermilk) or 1⁄2 cup buttermilk (I use buttermilk)
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup apple butter (served with)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Combine first 5 ingredients in a food processor or bowl.
- Add butter and process until it resembles coarse meal.
- Add oats, currants and buttermilk and stir mixture until dough just sticks together.
- (DO NOT over mix) Transfer to a floured work surface and knead about 5 times.
- Roll out dough to 1 inch thickness.
- (in circle) cut into pie shaped pieces or cut with cookie cutter.
- Arrange on a slightly greased baking sheet.
- Gently brush scones with egg and bake 20 minutes or until golden.
- Serve with Apple Butter.
This recipe is delicious and very easy to make! I accidentally used Quick Oats, and they came out fine. These scones look and taste very professional. Great recipe! Thanks for sharing this, Barb.
Very good and easy recipe. I substituted soy milk (w/ lemon juice) for the buttermilk.
Absolutely Fabulous!!! I love these goodies!! I had some golden raisins and dried cherries on hand and added those to the mix instead of currants but you could use any dried fruits. Next time I am adding slivered almonds! DELUXE!! Thanks Barb for this delectable goodness! :0)