Oatmeal Scones With a Bit of Heaven
photo by loof751
- Ready In:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 10 tablespoons butter, cold
- 2 cups miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 cups quick oats
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat milk (or you can use heavy cream)
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 425°F
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, baking powder and salt.
- With pastry blender cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Stir in mini morsels and oats.
- Reserve 2 tablespoons of the beaten eggs (set aside) and combine the remainder of the eggs with the milk in a small bowl.
- Stir egg mixture into the dry ingredients just until moistened (do not over-mix).
- On a lightly floured board, roll dough 1/2 inch thick. Cut into 2-inch diamonds (2 inches across and 2 inches long).
- Place on ungreased cookie sheets. Brush tops of pieces with the reserved beaten eggs and sprinkle with the granulated sugar.
- Bake 10 minutes or until golden brown. Great served warm.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
A nice change of pace from your typical scone! I made this exactly as posted, but found the dough to be quite sticky. I had to keep flouring my board (and hands) to get this to the right consistency. This made 8 two-inch diamond scones, which were actually produced some giant scones! Made for ZWT 8.
Wonderful scones and definitely have a bit of heaven with the chocolate chips and the sugary topping/crust!!! I made 1/2 of the recipe and followed as written except for using my biscuit cutter to get my shape. This made 10 scones using my cutter. Thanks so much for sharing the recipe, especially when I had a chocolate craving during ZWT8.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>I'm one of the original members of RecipeZaar and an active member in the old forums. I loved meeting so many wonderful people from across the globe in what were truly amazing forums and during events on the site which encouraged interaction. I miss those forums and am saddened that this is now just another recipe collection site. I will always come back here as I have so many recipes saved of my own and tried many gems. I hope you are able to find something you like.</p>