Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr
I love this!!! My mom makes this and it's gone in no time at all!!! A really simple recipe but delish! It makes two loaves or you could make 1 loaf and some rolls too.
- 1 cup quick oats
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package dry yeast
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup warm water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 6 cups flour
- Pour boiling water over oats and let sit until luke warm.
- Add yeast, sugar, warm water, and 1/2 cup flour. Mix and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Add salt, oil, and 5 1/2 cups flour. Knead till smooth on a lightly floured surface.
- Put the dough in a large, lightly oiled bowl. Cover and let rise until double in size. Punch the dough down, and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Form into bread or rolls. Let rise in the greased bread pans and bake at 400 degrees for 60 mintues.
I love this recipe! It's super simple and I had all the ingredients on hand. I am working on my second batch tonight. Forget about store breads. This tastes much better!
So good! It's sweet but perfect. I cut into it right after it's out of the oven. Love toasting it and spreading on butter.
Definately a five star bread! Easy to make, very versatile - from bread and butter to ham sandwiches to toast. Slightly sweet - not dessert sweet, just slightly sweeter than normal bread.