Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Another great recipe from my mother's much used recipe files. To sour milk place 1 T. lemon juice or vinegar in a 1 cup measure and fill with milk. Let stand for 1/2 hour and stir.
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup buttermilk or 1 cup sour milk
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen) or 1⁄2 cup raisins or 1⁄2 cup chocolate chips
- Pour milk over oats and let stand for 15-20 minutes (or overnight).
- Heat oven to 350.
- Add sugar, egg and oil to oatmeal mixture and beat well.
- Sift dry ingredients together, then blend lightly with oatmeal mixture.
- Fold in blueberries.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin tins and bake 20-30 minutes.
- Best served warm with butter!
These are awesome muffins! Roosie's right, they are dense with the oatmeal but still soft and tasty! (especially with melted butter on them...) I made them with blueberries this time, and I think I'll try them with chocolate chips next time! Thanks!
Dense, tasty muffins. Followed the recipe exactly, using raspberries rather than blueberries. They rose well and were very densely textured, but still tender. Unlike many baked good recipes I have made with oats, this one is unique in that the oats' texture does not really come through- they kind of melt as you soak them in the buttermilk. Easy to grow together and plenty nutritious! I actually ran out of buttermilk, so I used half soured soymilk. My one qualm with these is that they are kind of bland, especially with the dense oaty texture. I think they would benefit greatly from the addition of some spices or some citrus zest. Overall a nice muffin recipe, though. Thanks!!