Recipe by Jan in Lanark
Another great recipe from my mother's much used recipe files. To sour milk place 1 T. lemon juice or vinegar in a 1 cup measure and fill with milk. Let stand for 1/2 hour and stir.
Top Review by Breeze144
These are awesome muffins! Roosie's right, they are dense with the oatmeal but still soft and tasty! (especially with melted butter on them...) I made them with blueberries this time, and I think I'll try them with chocolate chips next time! Thanks!
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup buttermilk or 1 cup sour milk
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen) or 1⁄2 cup raisins or 1⁄2 cup chocolate chips
Directions See How It's Made
- Pour milk over oats and let stand for 15-20 minutes (or overnight).
- Heat oven to 350.
- Add sugar, egg and oil to oatmeal mixture and beat well.
- Sift dry ingredients together, then blend lightly with oatmeal mixture.
- Fold in blueberries.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin tins and bake 20-30 minutes.
- Best served warm with butter!