Recipe by EmmyDuckie
A collaborative effort by the Babes in Zaarland 'Zaar World Tour team, using our very favorite Italian dessert flavors, espresso, mascarpone, cinnamon, nuts, liqueurs, and of course, chocolate. This is proof that too many cooks don't spoil the dish, as long as all those cooks have a sweet tooth for Italian desserts!
Top Review by SashasMommy
I haven't tried this recipe so I'm not rating it, but I just wanted to say that you can easily make chocolate bowls by dipping paper or silicon muffin cups in chocolate and letting them harden, then just peel off the muffin cup. I usually dip once, let harden, then dip again.
- 5 cups whole milk
- 1⁄4 cup instant espresso powder
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 ounces Amaretto
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
For Cinnamon Mascarpone Cream
- 1⁄2 cup mascarpone cheese
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 -2 tablespoon heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar (to taste)
For the chocolate bowls
- 12 ounces dark chocolate
- 1 (8 ounce) jar nutella, warmed
- 1⁄2 cup shelled pistachios
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine milk, espresso powder, and sugar in a large saucepan.
- Heat just enough to dissolve the sugar and espresso powder.
- Remove from heat, add Amaretto and vanilla, and refrigerate at least 2 hours.
- combine mascarpone, cinnamon, and enough cream to give it a whipped cream consistency, sweeten to taste; set aside.
- Line 6 small bowls with oiled plastic wrap, with as few wrinkles as you can manage.
- Melt chocolate in a double boiler, over a slow simmer.
- Use as low a heat as you can to avoid taking the chocolate out of temper.
- Pour chocolate into lined bowls, and tilt to cover all sides with a sturdy layer.
- Refrigerate until ready to use.
- When ready to serve turn chocolate out of bowl, remove plastic wrap and place on a pretty plate.
- Freeze gelato in ice cream maker to manufacturers instructions.
- Make sure it is very cold going in, so the texture will be dense and creamy.
- Freeze gelato until firm enough to scoop. If you have a small machine, you may need to do this in two batches.
- Warm nutella in a double boiler, until it has the consistency of hot fudge.
- To serve, place a generous scoop of gelato into a chocolate bowl, drizzle with warm nutella, top with cinnamon mascarpone cream, and sprinkle with pistachios.