Dog Team Sticky Buns
photo by Fairy Nuff
- Ready In:
- 1 1⁄4 ounces yeast
- 1 cup water (105-115 degrees F)
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup mashed potatoes (warm)
- 3 cups flour (may need more)
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 1⁄2 cup cold water
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
- Dissolve yeast in warm water; let stand 5 minutes.
- Mix together shortening, sugar, salt, egg, mashed potato; add dissolved yeast.
- Mix in flour to make a soft dough.
- Turn on to floured board, knead until smooth and elastic, adding more flour if necessary.
- May refrigerate overnight now.
- Roll out dough into a 9*16 rectangle and butter generously with melted butter.
- Sprinkle dough with mixture of cinnamon and sugar; roll toward one long edge.
- Slice into 1 inch thick pieces.
- Butter a 9*13 baking pan.
- Mix maple syrup with water; pour into pan; sprinkle nuts over bottom of pan.
- Place slices of dough, cut side down, on top of syrup mixture.
- Let rise at room temperature until doubled.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Bake about 30 minutes.
- Invert onto platter or foil to cool if you like your sticky buns gooey; Invert onto a rack if you don't like goo. Either way, be careful as syrup is very hot.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Very good! I made these using instant potato flakes prepared into mashed potatoes, as I did not have any leftover mashed potatoes, I use 1-1/2 tablespoons dry yeast to speed up the rising time slightly, and increased the sugar in the dough by 1 tablespoon. Great recipe that I will make again soon, thanks Bunny Mom!...Kitten:)
Delicious!! The Sticky Bun dough is perfectly light and rises so well. Your ingredient amounts were spot on - the dough was lovely to work with. I was worried when I turned them out that the tops of the buns looked more soggy than syrupy, however as they cooled the syrup thickened up and made a lovely glaze. I'll definitely use this recipe again.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<embed src="http://walkertracker.com/badge/v1/flashbadge.swf?id=Ms*Bindy&date=20070316" width="140" height="200" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" /></embed> <a href="http://walkertracker.com/walker.php?Ms*Bindy&i=1eb0d8f2e3b" title="A walking community for pedometer geeks">View Ms*Bindy's Step Blog at Walker Tracker</a>