Black Bean Tostada
photo by Rita1652
- Ready In:
- 8 corn tortillas
- vegetable oil (for frying)
- 2 (16 ounce) cans black beans, drained
- 3 medium onions, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon minced chile
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 2 oranges, juice of
- 2 large ripe avocados
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 - 1 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- shredded lettuce
- cheddar cheese or monterey jack cheese, shredded
- sour cream
- Pour vegetable oil in a skillet to about 1/2 inch depth.
- Heat until the oil is hot.
- Fry the tortillas, one at a time, for about a minute on each side until they are crisp.
- Drain the tortillas on paper towels and set aside.
- To make the black beans, saute the onions, garlic, cumin, coriander, and chiles in teh oil using a large skillet until the onions are soft and translucent, about 5-10 minutes.
- Add the drained black beans to the skillet. Mash with a potato masher or spoon until most of the beans are mashed.
- Add the tomatoes and orange juice.
- Cover and simmer on very low heat for 5-10 minutes. Add salt to taste.
- For the quacamole, slice the avocados in half.
- Remove the pits and scoop out the avocado flesh with a spoon.
- In a mixing bowl, mash the avocado until fairly smooth.
- Add the garlic, lemon juice, and salt to taste.
- Or use a food processor for a very smooth guacamole.
- To layer the tostadas: Start with a crisp tortilla, cover it generously with shredded lettuce and then black beans, topped with grated cheese, guacamole, and salta. Top with a dollop of sour cream.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
DELICIOUS!! The OJ and seasonings in the refried beans added a huge depth of flavor that worked great together! I'm surprised that there aren't many tostada recipes here on zaar, they are so GOOD! Maybe because the traditional tostada is so basic, how can you screw it up, lol.. anyhow, the seasoned bean dip really set these off! I topped these with recipe #57709 which is another 5-star recipe - I HIGHLY recommend it with these tostadas.. Ole', lol..
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<embed src="http://walkertracker.com/badge/v1/flashbadge.swf?id=Ms*Bindy&date=20070316" width="140" height="200" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" /></embed> <a href="http://walkertracker.com/walker.php?Ms*Bindy&i=1eb0d8f2e3b" title="A walking community for pedometer geeks">View Ms*Bindy's Step Blog at Walker Tracker</a>