Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Rich, thick gravy with melt-in-your-mouth roast and glazed vegetables. What more could you want?
- 4 -5 lbs roast
- 1 cup Season-All salt
- 1 tablespoon cardamom
- 1 tablespoon allspice
- 1 tablespoon thyme
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 slices bacon
- 1 large onion
- 3 carrots
- 4 potatoes
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 (14 ounce) can chicken stock
- 1⁄2 cup cream sherry
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1⁄4 cup white wine
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- Rub dry rub into meat and let set overnight in the fridge.
- Sear meat in a pan in hot oil from the bacon until very well browned.
- Remove meat and set in a 5 quart pot.
- Place half of the carrots and onion in pan cook until caramelized. Pour half the sherry over to deglaze pan; stir in tomato paste, then pour over the meat in the pot.
- Cook remaining vegetables then add to pot.
- Put tomatoes in pot with meat along with chicken broth and remaining sherry.
- Add half of the potatoes.
- Cook on very low for 2 hours.
- Check sauce. If too thin, mash a few potatoes to thicken. Now add remaining veggies and white wine and cook for another hour.