Recipe by noway
Posted for ZWT6. Adapted from norway-hei.com This is a traditional Norwegian Christmas dessert, a little lighter than others I've seen posted because it uses half and half instead of whipping cream. Total prep time does not include the time needed for the mousse to set.
- 1⁄4 ounce unflavored gelatin
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 4 egg yolks
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon rind
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- fresh lemon leaves (optional)
- fresh lemon peel, lemon zest and fresh lemon leaves (optional for garnish)
- whipped cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Stir together gelatin, sugar and salt in top part of double boiler.
- Beat egg yolks until thick and lemon colored.
- Add milk and half-and-half.
- Stir eggs and milk combination into gelatin mixture. Cook and stir constantly over boiling water until mixture coats spoon, about 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in grated lemon rind. Slowly stir in lemon juice. Place into a 1-quart gelatin mold.
- Chill until set. Remove from mold by quickly dipping the bottom in lukewarm water. Dry it off and place your serving plate over the mold and turn over.
- The mousse should now come loose and sit nicely on your serving plate.
- Make a design with whipped cream on and around the dessert.
- Garnish with lemon leaves, grated lemon rind or lemon peel (You can use a vegetable peeler to make curly lemon peel).