Norwegian Rhubarb Compote
Posted for ZWT 6. Adapted from norway-hei.com Can be enjoyed warm or chilled. Number of servings is an estimate.
- Ready In:
- 1 1⁄2 lbs rhubarb
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Cut rhubarb into 1/2 inch pieces.
- Heat water and ¾ cup sugar to boiling, stirring occasionally.
- Add fruit. Simmer uncovered for about 10 minutes, until rhubarb is tender.
- Mix ¼ cup water and cornstarch; stir into rhubarb.
- Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil 1 minute and stir over medium heat. Note: Rhubarb will burn if not stirred! Stir in vanilla extract.
- To serve:.
- If using glass serving bowls, be sure to temper with warm water first, otherwise the glass will crack.
- Pour into serving bowl or individual dessert bowls.
- When ready to serve, beat whipping cream with 2 tablespoons sugar in chilled bowl until stiff.
- Pipe cream through decorators' tube or spoon onto rhubarb compote.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
I would have gone with 4 stars but my better half was scarfing this down so fast I had a heck of a job getting a portion! 5 Stars when he gets that enthused. :) I made it as directed but for my personal taste I would either reduce or eliminate the vanilla. DH says don't mess with it. lol I pulled a few pieces of rhubarb out just before the thickening process mostly for the picture but I do like a few 'chunks' in mine. It's a keeper. Thanks for posting! Made on behalf of the Looney Spoon Phoodies for ZWT^Reply
see 2 more