Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
The restaurant Northwoods Inn or Clearmans serves this slaw. I normally do not like cabbage, but this salad is delish!
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup red wine vinegar, plus
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt, such as Lawry's
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄2 head red cabbage, very thinly sliced
- Combine oil, vinegar, sugar, salt, seasoned salt, pepper and onion powder in a bowl. Pour over cabbage; chill for at least 2 hours or overnight.
Tastes just like the salad at the restaurant! It gets better the longer it marinates. Since the flavor of cabbage can vary somewhat, be flexible with your seasonings. Some may require a little more sugar, etc. This is really beautiful to use as a "bed" to serve meat on. Goes absolutely fabulous with a grilled ribeye!
This salad is great and VERY close to the restaurant version. I upped the vinegar to 3/4 cups for a little more zing. The recipe for 2 servings is actually enough for a whole head of cabbage. Highly recommended.
This recipe is a favorite staple of mine. I have been eating it for years and have cleaned it up just a bit. It is great for those of you who are snackers and need to lose weight or want to maintain your weight. You can eat as much of this as you want. I recommend changing the sugar for fresh apple juice. You can omit the lawerys season salt (not to much healthy stuff in that item). As far as how much apple juice...just do it to taste. IT WORKS great.