Cubed tender cuts of lamb or diced eggplant or tofu may be substituted for the chicken in this dish. Rachel Ray
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, 2 turns of the pan
- 4 garlic cloves, smashed beneath the flat of your knife with the heel of your hand, discard skins
- 1 1⁄2-1 3⁄4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into large bite-size pieces
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons Montreal chicken seasoning (recommended ( Montreal Seasoning by McCormick) or 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt and pepper (coarse salt and coarse pepper)
- 1 large yellow onion, quartered and sliced
- 10 pitted prunes, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup golden raisin
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth, available in paper containers on soup aisle
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sweet paprika, eyeball it
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander, eyeball it
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric, eyeball it
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cinnamon, a couple pinches
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken stock
- 1 1⁄2 cups couscous
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, eyeball it
- 2 scallions, finely chopped
- chopped cilantro leaves or flat leaf parsley
- finely chopped scallion
- mango chutney, any variety and brand (available on the condiment or International food aisles)
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Add extra-virgin olive oil, 2 turns of the pan, in a slow stream, and add smashed garlic. Season the chicken with seasoning blend. Scatter chicken around the pan in an even layer. Cook chicken pieces 2 minutes on each side to brown, then add the onions, prunes, raisins and stock. Mix spices in a small dish and scatter over the pot. Cover and reduce to moderate heat. Cook 7 or 8 minutes, remove the lid and stir.
- To prepare the couscous, bring chicken stock to a boil. Add couscous, extra-virgin olive oil and scallions and remove the couscous from the stove immediately. Cover and let stand 5 minutes. Fluff the couscous with a fork.
- Uncover chicken and cook another 2 to 3 minutes to thicken slightly. Adjust the seasoning, to taste, and serve chicken on a bed of couscous. Garnish with chopped cilantro and scallions. Serve with chutney.