This is such a good dish. I would order this every time we went to Don's Seafood Hut in Lafayette....still do when I go home to visit. I have tried many recipes, and this is the closest I can come to theirs. This is a collaboration of many different recipes I have tried.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb lump crabmeat
- 3 1/2 cups hot whipping cream
- 1/4 lb butter
- 1 ounce dry white wine
- 1/4 cup onion, grated
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 dash hot sauce
- 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
- salt and black pepper
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons flour
- parsley, chopped for garnish
- 1Preheat oven to 375ºF.
- 2In a medium heavy bottomed saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat.
- 3Add the onions and garlic; sauté for 3-5 min or until vegetables are wilted. Be careful not to brown.
- 4Sprinkle in the flour, blending well into the mixture.
- 5Using a wire whisk, add the hot cream into the saucepan, stirring constantly until thick cream sauce is achieved.
- 6Reduce heat to a simmer.
- 7Add the white wine, lemon juice, nutmeg, and hot sauce, stir to combine.
- 8Sprinkle in half of the Cheddar cheese, stirring the mixture constantly.
- 9Season with salt and pepper to taste. If mixture becomes too thick, add a small amount of hot water or whipping cream.
- 10Place equal parts of the crabmeat in the bottom of 6 au gratin dishes, top with sauce-enough to cover and sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- 11Bake for 10 min or until cheese is bubbly.
- 13Spread crabmeat on the bottom of an 8-inch baking dish, top with sauce, and sprinkle remaining cheese on top.
- 14Bake for 30 min or until cheese is bubbly and melted.
Browse Our Top Crab Recipes
Nutritional Facts for New Orleans Crabmeat Au Gratin
Serving Size: 1 (282 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 835.7
- Calories from Fat 693
- Total Fat 77.1 g
- Saturated Fat 47.8 g
- Cholesterol 317.9 mg
- Sodium 623.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 0.7 g
- Protein 27.4 g