Prep 30 mins
Cook 5 hrs
Once again, it's cooking on the stove! Made a few changes, like what good cook wouldn't do that! I'm one of these cooks who don't follow directions very well, like cook somethings 30 minutes then add this and that, then cook again, etc. When it comes to soup, it will all come together and be great!
- 3 (15 1/2 ounce) cansof great great northern beans
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups water
- 1 large meaty ham bone
- 1 cup ham, chopped
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground sage
- 3 yukon gold potatoes, peeled and chopped in 1-1/2 " cubes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup green onion, chopped
- 3 medium carrots, chopped
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 tablespoon bacon grease
- Melt bacon grease in 8 quart pot on medium heat.
- Add ham bone-mine came cut up by butcher, and other ham, let ham pieces cook 5 minutes.
- Then add all the broth, water, granules.
- Bring to boil.
- Add all the vegetables, can beans, and spices.
- Mash a few potatoes and beans to thicken soup.
- Simmer on low heat 5-6 hours.
- Stirring occasionally.