echo echo's Note:
(Sometimes spelled Nasi.) My understanding is that this is simply Indonesian for fried rice, so of course there are actually many versions. This is a Dutch version I've had for ages. Chicken can be substituted for the pork. For the baby shrimp, you can use salad shrimp from the fish counter at the grocery store--just don't leave on heat very long, since it's already cooked. Cooking time assumes starting with already cooked rice; cooking time isn't really "passive" since you have to keep an eye on it and stir a lot. You can substitute cooked Asian noodles for the rice and you'll have Bahmi Goreng.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 lb cubed lean pork
- 4 tablespoons oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon sambal oelek
- 1 teaspoon trassi oedang (optional)
- 1 teaspoon confectioners' sugar
- 2 leeks, sliced into rings
- 6 cups cooked white rice
- 1/2 cup peeled baby shrimp
- 1 teaspoon ketjap manis or 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped celery tops (the leafy portion)
- 2 eggs
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- 4 gherkins, sliced
- 1In a heavy saucepan, brown the pork in oil over high heat.
- 2Add the onions through sugar and saute 5 minutes.
- 3Add the leeks and saute 2 minutes more.
- 4Add the cooked rice and cook for a few minutes over high heat, stirring constantly.
- 5Add the shrimp through celery tops and heat through.
- 6Quickly make an omelet with the eggs and cut into long strips.
- 7Serve nassi goreng on a warm platter, garnished with strips of omelet placed on top in a lattice-type pattern, topped with tomato and gherkin slices.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Nassi Goreng
Serving Size: 1 (574 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 637.9
- Calories from Fat 168
- Total Fat 18.7 g
- Saturated Fat 3.6 g
- Cholesterol 122.4 mg
- Sodium 1187.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 98.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.9 g
- Sugars 8.8 g
- Protein 18.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: