Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
My granmother was German and made this cake and I have very fond memories of eating this with her at the dining room table talking away the troubles of a young girls day. LOL Lots of butter and eggs. Not a low cal low carb cake but its soooo good. I had to sit and watch her make this stopping her to trya and measure this recipe out. This makes 1 bundt cake or 6 muffins.
- 3⁄4 lb butter
- 2 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 6 eggs, seperated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon lemon rind
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking cocoa
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- Cream together the 3/4 pounds of butter and sugar, mix well.
- Add 6 egg yolks, and vanilla and beat well.
- Add grated lemon rind and beat.
- Add flour sifted with 1 heaping teaspoon baking powder.
- Beat 6 egg whites until stiff and fold into the above mixture. Reserve 2 cups of this mixture to make the chocolate mixture.
- Chocolate mixture:.
- In bowl Combine 2 Tablespoons sugar, 3 heaping teaspoons cocoa, 1/2 teaspoon baking powder, 2 heaping tablespoons of sour cream, and 2 cups of the above batter to make the chocolate mixture.
- Grease bundt pan well add white batter then chocolate batter alternately until the pan is over 1/2 full.
- Bake at 325 on lowest rack in the oven for 1 hour until brown.
- When cooled you can frost to your liking or sprinkle with powdered sugar.
- We ate it as is and it was wonderful.
I followed the recipe exactly. Read it several times because the batter turned out so thick I couldn't pour it. It turned out like a brick of sugar. Not real sure what happened.
used yogurt instead of sour cream, and whole wheat pastry flour instead of all purpose flour.
everybody loved it, adviced that it could be better with 2 cups of sugar... thanks for sharing the recipe.
This is sooo easy to make. Its so amazing... My husband thinks its a too sweet... but I still give it a 5 stars!!! Thanks for sharing this wonderful recipe.