Recipe by gingersnap081
The cabbage cooks with the sugar and vinegar to make a nice mellow flavor. My Nana would serve it with potato dumplings and sour bratten. One of my favorite recipes. To make this recipe lighter just substitute the sugar for 1 1/2 times it's amount in Splenda.
Top Review by gypsygal
"Lip Smacking Good"!! Hot or cold. I've been making Sweet and Sour Cabbage for years and always had to do it by guessing. My German Dad didn't use a recipe for anything. He just cooked. (He was also a chef.) I do skip the caraway seed, but, add a finely chopped up apple and follow the directions for your recipe. We like our red cabbage softer and I cook mine more than 40 minutes. I might have to add a little water now and then till it's as tender as we like it. I've made your recipe often and need to thank you. It goes great with Rinderrouladen and Pork. Thank you. I don't have to guess anymore.
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup vinegar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon caraway seed (optional)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 quarts purple cabbage, shredded or thinly sliced (2lbs.)
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute onion in butter until golden brown.
- Add the sugar, vinegar, caraway, pepper and salt. Mix.
- Add the purple cabbage and toss well with the wet ingredients.
- Cook covered (dutch oven works best) over medium heat about 40 minutes or until cabbage is tender.