Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
The cabbage cooks with the sugar and vinegar to make a nice mellow flavor. My Nana would serve it with potato dumplings and sour bratten. One of my favorite recipes. To make this recipe lighter just substitute the sugar for 1 1/2 times it's amount in Splenda.
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup vinegar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon caraway seed (optional)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 quarts purple cabbage, shredded or thinly sliced (2lbs.)
- Saute onion in butter until golden brown.
- Add the sugar, vinegar, caraway, pepper and salt. Mix.
- Add the purple cabbage and toss well with the wet ingredients.
- Cook covered (dutch oven works best) over medium heat about 40 minutes or until cabbage is tender.
Absolutely Delicious!!<br/><br/>Hands down, the best german cabbage recipe I've ever tasted!! The german restaurants do not even come close. I love to make this in the fall with pork tenderloin medallions. Also, it tastes wonderful a few days later chilled in the fridge.
Oh, this is SO good! It's like, candied cabbage. If there's any left after DS and I get through taste-testing, I'd like to see what it's like chilled. Super easy recipe that would make a pretty and tasty side dish. Thanks for sharing, gingersnap, we'll be making this one again. :) Made & enjoyed for Fall 2011 Pick A Chef. You've been adopted! http://www.food.com/bb/viewtopic.zsp?t=363796&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0