Recipe by nsomniak6
My Grandmother left me a bunch of Cuban recipes and I am finally getting around to posting! Edit: I changed the amount of chicken broth due to recommendations of the reviewers.
Top Review by smason0301
Delicious!! Thank you for the great recipe!! I agree with the comment about adding salt & pepper and I also thought it was a little too much chicken broth, next time I will put a little less. I will definitely make this again!!
- 1 medium broiler-fryer chickens, cut up or 3 whole chicken breasts, split
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 -8 saffron strands
- 10 green olives, cut in half
- 1 large bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 4 cups chicken broth or 1 (12 ounce) bottle beer
- 1 medium tomatoes, chopped fine or 1 medium diced tomato
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups rice
- 1 (8 1/2 ounce) can lasueur early peas
- 1 roasted red pepper, cut into thin strips (or jarred)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat olive oil in large frying pan over med-hight heat. Sear chicken about 2-3 minutes on each side until brown. Remove chicken to plate.
- Turn heat down to med. and saute green pepper and onions about 3 minutes. Add garlic and sauteed no longer than a minute.
- Add chicken broth, oregano, cumin, bay leaf, saffron, tomatoes, salt, pepper and olives. Bring to a boil and set aside.
- Spray a 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray and add rice. Stir in liquid mixture. Place chicken on top and cover tightly with foil.
- Bake for approximately 30-40 minutes or until all liquid is absorbed and rice is fluffy.
- Once rice is done, take pan out of oven and add peas to the top and lay roasted pepper strips all over. Place foil back on top and let set for about 5 minutes or until pea are heated through.