Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
One of my favorite beef stews. The blend of flavors are really delicious.
- 2 lbs stewing beef (2 inch cubes)
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons parsley (chopped)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon savory
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 4 cups tomato juice
- 3 medium onions (Quartered)
- 6 medium carrots (Thinly Sliced)
- 1 cup turnip (Cubed)
- 1 cup bow tie pasta or 1 cup pasta shells or 1 cup macaroni
- 12 ounces frozen peas
- Saute meat in large Dutch oven and sprinkle with flour and brown. Stir in seasonings and tomato juice. Cover and simmer on medium heat for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in onions, carrots and turnips and simmer another 30 minutes. Add pasta and cook another 20 minutes for bows and shells and only 5 minutes for macaroni. Stirring occasionally. Add frozen peas and cook 10 minutes more.
- Check seasonings and adjust.
This was a different stew for us. I normally don't put that much tomato juice in but it was pretty good. I followed exactly except no frozen peas and used macaroni. The only thing I will do different next time is add some more spices for us. Made for Everyday is a Holiday Tag Game 2010.