Recipe by LAURIE
Perfection simplified. A rich tasting soup that everyone will think you slaved over. Better than that you get at the fanciest place! The house will smell great too! Slightly freeze the onions for ease in slicing and less tears.
Top Review by PanNan
This is by far the best French Onion Soup I've had. I cut the recipe and made only a third for the two of us, using one large Peruvian sweet onion, 1 tbsp flour, 1 can of broth, 1 cup of water, etc. I didn't use the brown sugar at all because the onion was so sweet. I did not use the crockpot. The croutons were fresh garlic croutons made from a loaf of day old bread, made in the bread machine. I highly recommend this recipe.
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 3 -4 large Spanish onions, sliced thin
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 3 cans beef broth
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 4 1⁄4 cups water
- salt and pepper
- dry garlic bread
- mozzarella cheese
- swiss cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- In large dutch oven, melt butter.
- Saute onions until golden brown.
- Add flour and blend.
- Add broth, and remaining ingredients.
- Cover and simmer cook on low at least 3 hours.
- Serve in ovenproof bowls, with garlic croutons floating on top.
- Cover croutons with mozzaarella or swiss cheese and broil until the cheese melts.
- This also works very well in the crockpot all day on low and freezes well.