Aunt Cookie's Note:
From Vegetarian Times. Maybe the thought of vegan mushroom stroganoff (especially one made with tofu) is unappealing to some :), but I was stunned by how tasty this was. Don't be scared off by the long list of instructions; this is actually quite easy to make. Note: cooking time doesn't include mushroom soaking time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 ounce dried shiitake mushroom
- 1 cup boiling water
- 4 ounces medium firm tofu
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 teaspoons tahini
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil (can substitute water)
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 cups button mushrooms, sliced thickly (about 8 oz.)
- black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 3 tablespoons dry red wine
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme or 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried dill or 1 tablespoon minced fresh dill
- 3 cups cooked wide pasta or 3 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, minced
- 1Put shiitake mushrooms in a small bowl with the boiling water. Cover and set aside for a few hours (or until fully reconstituted; it may not take that long).
- 2Squeeze liquid out of the mushrooms and save the soaking liquid.
- 3Cut off the mushroom stems and discard; slice the caps as thinly as possible.
- 4Put tofu, salt, lemon juice, canola oil, and tahini in a blender and process until smooth.
- 5Heat sesame oil (or water) in a large skillet. Saute onion over moderate heat until nearly tender.
- 6Add the shiitakes, button mushrooms, pepper and paprika. Saute for about 5 minutes or until button mushrooms don't look dry anymore.
- 7Add 6 tb. mushroom soaking liquid to the skillet along with the wine and soy sauce. Cover and cook over low heat for 5 minutes.
- 8Stir in thyme, dill, and tofu mixture and cook until slightly thickened.
- 9Serve over noodles (my preference) or rice.
- 10Garnish with parsley.
Browse Our Top Soy/Tofu Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mushroom Stroganoff
Serving Size: 1 (358 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 802.4
- Calories from Fat 191
- Total Fat 21.2 g
- Saturated Fat 2.6 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 821.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 123.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.1 g
- Sugars 8.6 g
- Protein 28.7 g