Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
The original recipe is from Paula Deen's cookbook The Lady and Sons Too! I have tweeked it a bit. This makes a great side dish and everyone in the family will like it.
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 7 ounces mushroom stems, and peices
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 10 3⁄4 ounces cream of mushroom soup
- 10 3⁄4 ounces beef consomme
- Heat butter in skillet. Finely chop onion and mushrooms. Saute both 3-5 minutes.
- Stir in rice and saute for 3 minutes longer, stirring constantly.
- Stir in the soup and consumme. I have also used chicken broth depending on what I am serving.
- Pour the mixture into a greased casserole, cover, and bake at 350 degrees for 45 to 60 minutes. Check the rice after 30 minutes; if it is drying out add a little boiling water.
This is a great side dish that I have been making for years. I add soya sauce and water chestnuts for a kicked-up Asian flavour.