Recipe by kzbhansen
Fresh Mushrooms, Rice (White, Brown or wild) OR Barley whichever you like baked into a great little side dish, with cottage cheese and sour cream for the creaminess.
Top Review by KGCOOK
I made this recipe tonight as a side dish. I wish I could give it a better score but I can't. I found it to be on the bland side. I will try this recipe again but I will be adding seasonings to the dish and not just over the top. I think I may add more sour cream and cottage cheese to juice it up a bit more too. I followed the directions to the T as well as baking times. Next time I try this recipe I will do another review and maybe I will be able to give it a good rating.
- 8 ounces mushrooms, chopped I use Baby Bellas
- 1 large onion, well chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped fine
- 3 cups rice, white, brown or 3 cups wild rice, cooked and cooled to room temperature
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup parmesan cheese, Divided
- thyme or tarragon
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- Spread butter or olive oil evenly into a 9x13 baking pan.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat saute the mushrooms in olive oil adding a bit of salt to the mix. Saute so until the mushrooms have released their liquid and have browned a bit.
- Add the onions and cook for another 4 or 5 minutes or until they are translucent.
- Add the garlic and cook for another minute. Remove from heat.
- Add the cooked rice to the skillet and stir until well combined.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the eggs, cottage cheese, sour cream, and salt.
- Combine the rice mixture and cottage cheese mixture in a large bowl, stir until well combined and then turn out into your prepared baking dish. Sprinkle with 2/3 of the Parmesan cheese, cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake for another 20 or 30 minutes until and golden brown along the edges. Sprinkle with chopped Thyme or Tarragon, and the remaining Parmesan.