Basic Brown Rice
photo by Naal191
- Ready In:
- Put water in a medium sauce pan that has a lid.
- Add salt and rice and stir once.
- Heat to a full rolling boil.
- Place lid on pan and reduce heat to simmer (my stove only does a very "high" simmer).
- Simmer for 20 minutes. *Do not lift lid or stir.*.
- Turn off heat. *Do not lift lid or stir.*.
- Let sit at least 10 minutes before serving. The longer you let it sit, the more the rice improves. I often lift the lid and fluff-stir the rice at 10 minutes, then replace the lid and let the rice rest while I prepare the rest of the meal.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This cann't possibly work. I cook with brown rice all the time. Tried this and no luck. When I cook my brown,long grain regular not instant rice.I first of all double the water. 2c rice= 4 c water. I bring it to a boil. Reduce to simmer. Cover and it takes almost 40 minutes. The only way I have been able to shorten this up, was by pre-soaking the rice in boiling water for 10-15 minutes. Drain and proceed.
FYI: I followed the instructions as printed and the rice was undercooked (more than just a bit chewy) with water still in the pot about 1/2 to 1/3 of the level of the rice. Fortunately, I was able to save the batch by simmering covered on low again for another 10 min. & letting it sit again for another 10 min. I used short grain brown rice and I do live at altitude (6000'+), so I don't know if that made a difference, but most other recipes I checked afterward seem to recommend a longer simmering time, 30 - 40 min.