Perfect Basic Brown Rice
photo by Tinkerbell
- Ready In:
- Rinse the starch off the rice in a strainer under cold water for 30 seconds.
- Bring the water to a boil over high heat in a large pot that has a tight fitting lid.
- Add the rice, stir it just once, and boil, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
- Pour the rice into a strainer over the sink and drain for 10 seconds.
- Return the rice to the same pot, off the heat.
- Cover immediately and set aside for 10 minutes (this is the steaming part).
- Uncover, fluff with a fork, and season with salt.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
You are so right about the rice being perfect! I doubled the recipe and used 4 tbsp of kosher salt in the water, together with 1/2 tsp garlic powder and 1/2 tsp onion powder. I followed your instructions exactly and even though it seemed that the rice wasn't quite ready when I drained it, it was perfectly cooked 10 minutes later, as your instructions say. I love the fact that no fat is used to make this rice. Thanks for sharing this recipe.
Wow, I can't tell you how glad I am to have found this! I adore brown rice, but have often avoided fried rice and pilaf dishes because I can never get the texture right. This made PERFECT rice for frying! Thanks so much for posting; I know I will revisit this often. Made for the Mischief Makers, ZWT 6!