Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
A sweet mild curry lentil stew with an apple and tomato base. This is a great seasonal recipe for August and September with fresh, local apples and tomatoes. This is my own version of Mulligatawny Stew, but is inspired by a recipe Jamie V. got while traveling in India.
- 2 tablespoons chicken soup base
- 7 cups water
- 1 cup lentils
- 2⁄3 cup brown rice
- 2 cups apples
- 3 cups tomatoes
- 1⁄4 cup celery
- 1⁄2 cup onion
- 3⁄4 cup raisins
- 4 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Chop about 3-4 apples and 3-4 large tomatoes.
- Finely chop celery and 1 small onion.
- Stir together chicken soup base and water.
- Mix all ingredients in a 4 quart crock pot.
- Simmer 3 hours on high or until thick.
This is the best Mulligatawny Stew ever. I have a favorite Indian Restaurant in my neigborhood and have been trying to figure out how they make their soup. This is the closest recipe to it I have found. Lovely, healthy and fragrant. Many of the recipes for this soup aren't healthy and have way too much fat in them. I am going to make this soup often and serve with fresh Naan. Highly recommended. Thank you nutrimom!