Chicken and Red Lentil Curry
- Ready In:
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 onions, finely sliced
- 1 green pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 lb chicken breast, cubed
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 5 ounces dried red lentils
- 6 tablespoons plain yogurt
- 2 ounces almonds, toasted
- Heat half of the oil in a large pan and add the onion and pepper. Cook gently for 8-10 mins, until softened. Stir in the garlic and ginger and spices, and cook for 1 - 2 mins more.
- Add the remaining oil and the chicken, and cook for 2-3 mins until coated in the spice mixture. Stir in the stock and lentils, bring to the boil then cover and simmer for 25 mins, stirring occasionally until the lentils are tender and the chicken is thoroughly cooked.
- Stir in half the yogurt and cover; simmer for a further 5 minutes.
- Spoon the curry into individual bowls with basmati rice, and top with the remaining yogurt and a sprinkling of almonds.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I live in Manchester, UK with my fiance and young son. I work at the local hospital in pediatrics and love my job. I also love cooking!! I have a sweet tooth but try and make healthy family meals, I'm not against some lovely treats now and then though :)